2007年5月26日土曜日

CHAPTER 1  ガンガー(ガンジス河)の岸の上で

CHAPTER 1
ON THE BANKS OF THE GANGA
ガンガー(ガンジス河)の岸の上で


The king had always been fond of hunting. It was a passion with him. He had reached the banks of the river Ganga. It was there, he saw her. She was like a vision. There she stood, her skin glowing like gold. Her eyes were large and lustrous and her hear which she was combing with her fingers was long, looking like the proverbial Rahu trying to envelop the moon. He stood rooted to the spot drinking her with his eyes. It seemed to him that a nymph from the high heavens had descended on the earth to feast his eyes and only his eyes. He approached her. She turned on hearing the noise and looked at him. A blush suffused her face which became downcast. A smile hovered on her lips. Her toe was tracing patterns on the ground below and her fingers, which were like ivory sticks, twined and untwined the strands of her dark hear. A moment later she lifted her eyes and looked at him. He knew then that she cared for him.

王様はとても猟が好きでした。それは彼の情熱を駆り立てました。彼はガンガーの川の畔に辿り着きました。王様が彼女を見たのはその場所でした。彼女はまるで幻の姿のようでした。金のように輝く肌をした彼女が立っていました。彼女の目は大きく輝いていましたが、指でとかしていた髪が長くのびていたので、まるで、あの有名なラーフゥーが月を隠してしまうようでした。王様は目で彼女を飲み干すように立っていました。ただただ王様の目を喜ばせるために天国から地上に降りてきた妖精のように思われました。王様は彼女に近づきました。音を聞いて振り返った彼女は王様を見ました。王様から目を伏せた彼女の顔は、バラ色に覆われました。彼女のつま先は地面に模様を描き、彼女の肌色の小枝のような指は黒い髪に絡まっていました。しばらくして、彼女は伏せていた目を上げて王様を見ました。王様は彼女が自分に関心を持っていると思いました。

He went near her. He took her reluctant hand in his and said: "You are so very beautiful. I want you to be mine. I am Santanu, the king of Hastinapura. I love you, I cannot live without you". She smiled and said: "The moment I looked at you I knew that I had to be yours. I will be your queen. But there is a condition. You must not cross me in anything at any time. The moment you displease me I will go away from you never to return". "So be it", said the love-lorn monarch and led her to his city.

王様は彼女に近寄りました。そして、とまどう彼女の手を取ってこう言いました。「あなたはとても美しい。あなたを私のものにしたい。私は、ハスティナプーラの王、サンタヌです。私はあなたを愛しています。あなた無しでは生きられません。」ガンガーは微笑んで言いました。「私はあなたを一目見た瞬間にあなたの妻になるにちがいないと思いました。あなたの王妃になります。でもそれにはひとつ条件があります。どんなときであろうと私に干渉してはいけません。私を不快にしたなら、私はあなたの元を離れ、決して戻ってきません。」「わかりました。」 恋に落ちた王様はそう言って彼女を町に連れて行ったのです。

She was, to him, the ideal wife: a compassion in every sense of the word. She pleased him immensely with her charm, her beauty, her sweet words and her many good qualities. He lost count of time when he was with her. She was called Ganga.

彼女は、思いやりという言葉の意味をそのまま現したような王様の理想の王妃でした。チャーミングさや美しさ、優しい言葉遣いや他のたくさんの優れた性格によって王様をとても喜ばせました。王様は彼女と居ると時間を忘れました。彼女はガンガーと呼ばれました。

Days passed by: months too. Ganga bore the king a son. His joy was immense. At last, a son and heir had been born to adorn the time-honoured throne of the great Pauravas. He hastened to the queen's chambers. He was told that she was not there. He heard that she had hurried to the banks of the river Ganga with the new-born child clasped in her arms. He could not understand. He hurried to the river bank. There his horrified eyes saw a scene which he could never blot out from the tablets of his memory. Ganga, his dear beloved Ganga, had just flung the new-born child into the river. There was a look on her face which teased him for days together. She looked as though a great load was off her mind. He wanted to ask her. But he could not. He remembered the promise he had given her: that he would never, never cross her and displease her.

月日が経ち、ガンガーは、王様の息子を産みました。王様はとても喜びました。偉大なパウラヴァスの、由緒ある王の位を飾る跡継ぎが生まれたのですから。王様は王妃の寝室に急ぎました。ところが、彼女はいないと言うことでした。王妃は彼女の腕に息子を抱いて、ガンガーの岸に向かって急いで行ったと言うことでした。王様には何が起こっているのかわかりませんでした。王様も川岸に急ぎました。そこで王様は、記憶に染み付いてしまうほどの恐ろしい光景を見てしまいました。彼の愛するガンガーが、生まれたての子どもを川の中に放り投げたのです。王様は彼女の表情を思い出して何日も何日も悩みました。彼女はまるで彼女の心からおおきな荷物を捨て去ったように見えました。彼女に理由を尋ねたかったのですができませんでした。彼女にした約束を覚えていたからです。彼女には決して干渉しない、彼女を不快にしないという約束を。

It happened again a year later. And again! And again! Seven of the king's son were thrown into the river Ganga. The king was silent. Love, they say, is blind. But no. It is an extra eye which sees only the good in the beloved, blind to all the other faults. Ganga meant his very life to the king. But then, the desire for an heir was just as powerful. He knew no peace. A year passed thus. The eighth child was born. Ganga rushed to the river with the child clasped in her arms. The king was speechless with grief and anger. He rushed behind her. He held her back. He spoke harshly to her for the first time. He said: "What inhuman act is this? I cannot bear it any longer. I cannot see all my sons destroyed like this. Why do you do it? How can mother, or anyone for that matter, break the stem of a flower ere yet it blooms? Please give me this one son. I cannot keep silent any longer".

その出来事は、また1年後にも起こりました。そしてまた。そしてまた。7人もの王様の息子がガンガー川に捨てられました。王様は黙っていました。愛は人の目を眩ましてしまう。けれども、そうではありません。愛する人の良い面だけを見てしまう目なのです。そして他の欠点は見ない目なのです。ガンガーは、王様にとっては、まさに命でした。けれども、跡継ぎが欲しいという欲求もまた大きなものでした。安らぎがありませんでした。そんな1年が過ぎました。8人目の息子が生まれました。ガンガーは彼女の手にその子供を抱いて川に急ぎました。王様は悲しみと怒りを押し殺すように無言でした。そして、彼女のあとを追いました。背中から彼女を捕えました。初めて彼女に乱暴な言葉を吐きました。「何て残酷な行いなのだ。もう耐えられない。私の息子が全部このように殺されるのを見てられない。どうしてこのようなことをするのだ。どうして母親が、花が咲く前に花の茎を折ってしまうことができるのだ。私にこの息子をよこしなさい。もうこれ以上黙ってはいられない。」

There was a strange smile on the lips of Ganga. It was sad and it was happy too. She spoke very gently to the king. She said: "My lord, the time has come when I must leave you. You have broken your promise, I must hurry away from here. This child of ours will live. I will take him with me and grew him back to you when the time comes. I will call him Devavrata. His other name will be Gangeya". The king was numb with woe. He could not follow all that she was saying. He knew only this: the woman who meant everything to him was about to leave him for ever. And all because he had asked her not to kill his eighth son. He looked at her with mute appeal in his eyes. Words came to his lips. "Why do you do this to me? Can you not see that my life is bound up in you and that I cannot live without you? You cannot abandon me and go away! Ganga, you loved me once. In the name of that love I implore you, do not leave me and go away".

ガンガーの口元に、奇妙な微笑みがうかびました。悲しみと安堵が混じった微笑みでした。彼女はとても優しい声で王様に言いました。「私の王様、あなたの元を離れなければいけない時がきました。あなたは約束を破ったのです。私は急いでここを離れなければいけません。私たちのこの子は生きるでしょう。私はこの子を一緒に連れて行き、育てます。そして時が来ればあなたの元に返しに来ます。私はこの息子をデーヴァヴラタと名づけます。もう一つの名前はガンゲーヤです。」王様は悲しみに呆然としました。彼女の言っていること全てが理解できませんでした。ただ、王様にわかることは、たった今、自分にとって全てである女性が、永遠に彼のもとから離れようとしていること。それは、8人目の息子を殺さないでくれと頼んだことが理由であること。王様は無言で訴えるようにガンガーを見ていました。それは言葉として口から出てきました。「なぜ、このような事を私にするのですか。私の生は、あなた無しではありえないほど、あなたと密接に関わっているとわからないのですか。あなたは私を見捨てて、去ってはいけない。ガンガー、私を一度は愛したでしょう。その愛の名において、私はあなたにお願いします。私を見捨てて居なくならないでおくれ。」

A look of pain crossed the beautiful face of Ganga. She said: "Oh my lord, can you not realize that I am going because I must? I am Ganga. I belong to the heavens. Because of a curse I had to live the life of a mortal on this earth. You were the great king Mahabhishak in your previous birth. You were once with Indra in his court. I came there. You looked at me with eyes full of desire and I wanted to be yours. The celestials did not like it. They sent me to the earth to be the wife of Mahabhishak who was to be born as Santanu the son of Prateepa. Thus our life of love became possible. We have been happy. My lord, do not try to stem the tide of time. Things that have been ordained to happen will happen. Not you, nor I nor all the gods in the heavens can alter the order of things to come".

苦痛の表情がガンガーの顔に浮かびました。彼女は言いました。「ああ、私の王様。私が行くのは、そうするしかないからだとわかりませんか。私はガンガーです。私は神々に使える者です。ある呪いで私はこの地球で人間の生活をしなければなりませんでした。 あなたは前世、マハヴィシャクの偉大な王でした。あなたは一度、インドラの王宮に居たことがあります。私はそこを訪れたのです。あなたは私を欲望でいっぱいの目で見ました。私もあなたの王妃になりたいと思いました。でも、天の住人たちはそれを良く思いませんでした。私はあのマハヴィシャク、つまり、プラティーパの息子として生まれたこのサンタヌの王妃になるために地球に送られたのです。このように私たちの恋は実ったのです。私たちは幸せでした。王様、時間の流れを止めようとしないで下さい。起こると定まっていることは起こるのです。あなたも、そして私も、たとえ天界の神々だって、起こるべきことは起こるという秩序を変えることはできないのです。」

The king looked puzzled. He said: "Still I do not understand. Why then, the killing of these seven children who were born to you and me? Was that also part of the curse?" "Yes", said Ganga. "These eight children are the eight Vasus who were cursed to be born on this world. I had promised them that I would bear them and grant them release from this life the moment they were born. But this eighth has been cursed to live a long life on this earth. Hence he has been allowed to live. Do not grieve, my lord. I will give you your heir and I will take care that he is prepared in a manner suited to the role he has to play: the heir to the throne of the illustrious Pauravas".

王様は混乱しているようでした。「まだわからない。あなたと私の間に生まれた7人の子供たちを殺しているのはなぜ? それも呪いなのか。」「そうです。」彼女は言いました。「8人の子どもたちは、呪いのために、この世界に生まれてきた8人のヴァスーです。私は、彼らに、私が彼らを産むことを約束しました。また、生まれたらすぐに、この世の束縛から彼らを自由にするということを約束しました。しかしこの8人目の子はこの地球に長く生きるという呪いをうけていました。この子は、生きることを許されているのですから、王様、どうか悲しまないで。私はあなたに、この跡継ぎをさしあげますから。この子が、生まれてきた役割に応じた準備が整うまで、輝かしいパウラヴァスの王位を継げるように、私がこの子を引き取ります。」

When the veil of illusion is torn and the eyes are allowed to look on Truth, the eyes, we find, are not strong enough to do so. It was so with the king. Ganga, the goddess from the heavens thought fit to play wife to him. But Santanu, a mere mortal, was not great enough to bear that honour. His mind refused to face the truth. He was dumb-founded when he heard all that Ganga had to say. It was too much for him. He could see just two things. First, his Ganga would leave him for ever, never to come back. The other realization was that he had a son now, a son to uphold the name of the Pauravas. It was easy for Ganga to follow the emotions that passed through the mind of Santanu. With a look of pity mingled with love she looked at the king and said in a gentle voice: "My beloved, please do not be unhappy. I will take excellent care of our son. He will be a great man. He will be greater than all the Pauravas who have graced the throne of the race of the Moon".

幻想の幕が引き裂かれて、目が真実を見ることを許されたとしても、目は、その真実をまともに見れるほどの力を持ってはいないということがわかります。王様の場合もそうでした。天界の女神であるガンガーは、その王様の妻の役を演じることが、自分にはふさわしいと考えました。けれども、その王様、サンタヌとは、はかない肉体を装う人間にすぎませんでした。天界の女神の夫という栄誉をうけとれるほどの偉大さはなかったのです。王様の考えは、真実と向き合い、それを受け止めることができませんでした。ガンガーが言うことを聞いて、王様は物が言えないほど混乱してしまいました。彼にはあまりのできごとだったのです。ガンガーが、彼を捨ててしまい二度とは戻らない事、そして、パウラヴァスの名前を継ぐ息子を得たことだけしか、彼には理解できませんでした。ガンガーにとっては、サンタヌ王の考えをそめている感情を見ることはとても簡単でした。愛と交じり合った悲痛にそまる目で王様を見て、やさしく声をかけました。「私の愛する人よ。どうか不幸にならないで。私は、私たちの息子を大切にお世話しますから。この息子は偉大な男になるでしょう。月の民族の王位という名誉を与えられてきたパウラヴァスの、どんな偉大な王よりも偉大な人となるでしょう。」

Ganga faded away from sight. Santanu spent hours re-living the moments filled with pain: the last few moments with Ganga. With a sigh of resignation he turned away slowly and wended his way homewards, a home where lonelines, utter loneliness awaited him.

ガンガーは、その姿を視界から消してしまいました。サンタヌは、悲痛な気持ちいっぱいで、最後の瞬間のガンガーの姿を記憶に蘇らせるように何時間もすごしました。やがて断念し、ため息をついて、ゆっくりと振り返ると、家路を歩き始めました。まったくの孤独が待っているその宮殿に向かって。

0 件のコメント: