2007年5月26日土曜日

CHAPTER 2   16年の歳月が流れて

CHAPTER 2
SIXTEEN YEARS LATTER
16年の歳月が流れて


Sixteen years had gone by. There are crushed hearts that will not break and the king's plignt was such. His life was now empty. Life had lost all meaning. But that did not in any way affect his rule. He was an ideal king, The people were happy under his rule. His only pleasure, as of yore, was hunting. He would always be haunting the banks of the river Ganga. That was the one spot which gave him confort.

16年が過ぎ去りました。砕けてはしまわないでしょうが、ぺちゃんこになってしまった心。それが、王様の心境でした。彼の人生は空っぽでした。人生が意味を全部失ってしまいました。でも、彼が国を治めることに、それは、なにも影響しませんでした。彼は、理想的な王様でした。人々は、彼の統治の下で幸せでした。昔と同じように、彼の唯一の楽しみは、狩猟でした。取り付かれたように、ガンガー河の土手にいつも通っていました。その場所が、唯一、彼に安らぎを与える場所だったのです。

One day, as he was wandering along the banks of the river a strange sight met his eyes. The river was not flowing. It looked as though something held up the river. Full of curiousity he walked along the banks to see what was happening. He saw a network of arrows. The arrows had been so well-knit that not a drop of water could pass through. Santanu stood rooted to the spot, amazed at the sudden check imposed on the river.

ある日、王様が川岸にそって歩き回っているとき、奇妙な光景が目に飛び込んできました。川が流れていなかったのです。何かが川をせき止めているように見えました。好奇心一杯になった王様は、何が起こっているのかを見るために川岸にそって歩いてゆきました。彼は、網状に組まれた弓矢を見ました。たくさんの弓矢が、一滴の水も漏らさないほど編み込まれていたのです。サンタヌ王は、川にできた突然のダムに驚いて、その場所に立ちすくんでしまいました。

He realised that he was not alone. Ganga, his beloved Ganga was standing beside him with a sweet serene smile. The king was overwhelmed. He looked at her with eyes full of tears. He said: "Ganga, so you have taken pity on me. All these years I have been lonely. I want you. I cannot live without you. Please come back to me. You have forgotten me, I know. Or else you would not have come now. Come, let us hasten to the city. Make us happy again". Ganga looked at him with pity in her eyes. She said: "My lord, all that is in the past. I will not come back. When the sun has set on a day it is foolish to ask him to come back so that you can live the day once again. The sun will come back: but only to usher in another day. No one can go back, not even for a moment. But that is all beside the point. Let me tell you why I have come. Do you see the river being held up?" "Yes", said the king. "That was the sight which held me spell-bound when you came. Tell me, Ganga, who is it who is holding you in check? You, whom all the wealth of my love could not hold back?"

王様は、彼が1人で、そこにいるのではないことに気がつきました。彼の愛するガンガーが、甘くうららかな微笑みをうかべて彼のそばに立っていました。王様は、仰天しました。彼は、涙を一杯目にためて彼女を見ました。王様は口を開きました。「ガンガー。あなたは、私を哀れんだのですね。何年も、私は孤独でした。私はあなたを手に入れたい。あなた無しには生きられない。どうか、もどってきておくれ。あなたは私を忘れてしまったのですね。知っています。そうでなければ、今時、あなたはやっては来ないもの。さあ、町へ急ぎましょう。もう一度、幸せになりましょう。」ガンガーは、あわれみの目で王様をみました。彼女は言いました。「私のだんな様。全ては過ぎたことです。私は戻りません。太陽が、また戻ってくるのは、次の日を導くためだけです。誰も、一瞬たりとも、もとに戻ることはできません。そういったことは全部、的外れなことです。なぜ、私が来たのかを言わせてください。せき止められている川を見ましたか?」「はい」と王様。「あなたが現れたとき、私はその光景に見入っていました。ガンガー。誰があなた(ガンガー川)をせき止めているのですか? 私の愛の全てであるあなたを、せき止めることなど、誰もできなかったのではないですか? 」

Even as they were talking, there was a sudden deafening noise. It was the roar of the river whose course had become unchecked now. From the distance there rushed up to them a boy: a beautiful youth whose noble face was shining with great excitement. He hugged Ganga with his arms and said: "Mother! Mother! I held up the river! Again, I was able to do it!" Ganga looked at the king. He was a picture of amazement. "Your son! he said. "Then, surely, surely, he must be--". "Yes, my lord", said Ganga. "Your guess is right. He is our son.". She turned to the young man and said: "Devavrata, this is your father. Salute him". Santanu lifted up the prostrate form of his son and embraced him. Ganga said: "This is the reason from my coming. I have brought your son to you. Take him with you to comfort you. He is well versed in all the arts that a Kshatriya should know. Vasistha has been his Guru. From him he has learnt theVedas and the Vedangas. From Brihaspati, the divine guru, he has learnt political science. At my request Bhargava, the enemy of kshatriyas, has taught him archery. My son is now proficient in all arts. I have fitted him to be a worthy heir to the throne of the Pauravas. I give this hero to you. Take him to the home of heros". Ganga vanished.

彼らが話をしているときに、突然、耳をつんざく音がしました。それは、たった今、せきをはずされて流れ出した川のうなりでした。遠くから、彼らに向かって、ひとりの少年が走ってきました。高貴な顔立ちの美しい少年が興奮した様子で。その少年は、手を伸ばしてガンガーに抱きつきました。そして、言いました。「お母さん、お母さん! 私は、川をせき止めました。 もう一回、できたんだよ!」ガンガーは、王様を見ました。彼は、驚きのあまりの絵のようでした。「あなたの子供?」と彼は尋ねました。「そうなら、その子は、私の子供にちがいない、そうにちがいない!」「そうです、だんな様」とガンガーが答えました。「あなたの推測は正しいです。この子は、あなたの息子です。」彼女は、若い男の子を振り返って言いました。「デーヴァヴラタ。あなたのお父さんだよ。挨拶をしなさい。」サンタヌ王は、彼の足元にひれ伏す彼の息子を持ち上げて、抱きかかえました。ガンガーは言いました。「これが、私が来た理由です。私は、あなたの息子を連れてきたのです。あなたを癒すために、一緒に彼を連れてゆきなさい。彼は、クシャットリアが習得すべき技術を全部よく学んでいます。ヴァシスタが、彼の先生でした。彼からヴェーダとヴェーダーンガを学びました。聖なる先生であるブルハスパティからは、政治学をならっています。私の頼みで、クシャットリアの敵であるバルガヴァが、彼に弓術を教えました。今では、私の息子は、全ての技術に熟達しています。パウラヴァスの王位をとるに値する跡継ぎとして、ふさわしいように、彼を育てました。あなたに、この英雄をあげましょう。この英雄を連れて帰りなさい。」ガンガーは、消え去りました。

The king turned homewards even as he did sixteen years ago. But today he was not alone. His son, this son born of Ganga, was there beside of him. Santanu was proud of this handsome young man who stood fair to be the only obsession of the king who had been lonely so long. Together, father and son galloped towards Hastinapura.

16年前と同じように、王様は家路につきました。しかし、今日は、1人ではありませんでした。彼の息子、ガンガーとの間に生まれた息子が彼の横にいました。あまりに長い間、孤独であったサンタヌ王は、彼の唯一の正式な跡継ぎである、このハンサムな息子を誇りに思いました。父と息子は、共に、ハスティナプーラの都への道のりを歩みました。

0 件のコメント: