CHAPTER3
THE FISHERMAN'S DAUGHTER
THE FISHERMAN'S DAUGHTER
漁師の娘
Four years passed. In the company of his son the king passed many happy days. Santanu doted on (~を溺愛する) him and Devavrata was an ideal son. He was lost in (没頭する、夢中になる) his father. It seemed as though he wanted to make up to (~の埋め合わせをする、~取り戻す) his father for all his years of loneliness. They were inseparable. The king crowned Devavrata as Yuvaraja. The people were delirious with (~で有頂天になる) joy. Fate, all the while, was playing a waiting game (待機戦術). The sight of unsullied happiness is too much for her.She always manages to add the bitter drop to the cup of joy.
四年が過ぎ去りました。サンタヌ王は、息子と一緒に、たくさんの幸せな日々を送りました。彼は、彼の息子であるデーヴァヴラタを溺愛していましたし、息子の方も、お父さんに夢中になっている理想的な息子でした。まるで、お父さん無しで、孤独で過ごした年月を取り戻したいと思っているかのようでした。彼らは、お互いに離れることができない関係でした。王様は、デーヴァヴラタにユヴァラージャ(プリンス)としての地位をあたえました。国の人々は、喜びでいっぱいでした。ところが、いつも運命は、待ち伏せを楽しんでいます。まったくの幸せの光景など、彼女(運命)には、うんざりなのです。彼女は、コップ一杯の喜びには、いつも苦い一滴を加えることで、調節するのです。
One day the king had gone out hunting. He was alone. As he was going along, a strange perfume assailed (assail 襲う、襲撃する) his senses. It was a perfume he had never known before. It overpowered him with its sweetness. Piqued (=excited) by this strange perfume the king followed it. He wanted to trace it to its source. He went on and on. At the end of the quest (探求) he saw that the source was a woman! He had reached the banks of the river Yamuna. There, on the banks of the river, he saw a beautiful woman. She was in the act of tying up the boat. Her form was faultless. She was perfect. No other word could describe the beauty of her limbs, her face, her eyes. The eyes were downcast now with shyness as though she could not bear the intensity of the king’s gaze. Her form was ill-concealed by the garb (身なり、衣装) of a fisher-girl. Santanu looked at her. He wanted her. He went near her and said: “Who are you? What are you doing here?” She spoke in a soft voice: “I am a fisher girl. My father is the king of the fishermen. It is my duty to ply (往復する) the boat between the two banks of this Yamuna river”.
ある日、王様は、狩に出かけました。彼は1人でした。彼が獲物を追っているとき、奇妙な香りが彼の鼻を刺激しました。今までには、匂ったことのない香りでした。その甘い香りが彼を圧倒しました。その奇妙な香りに興奮させられた王様は、その香りを追って行きました。彼は、その香りのもとまで、たどりつきたかったのです。どんどんと進んでゆくと、その追求のはてに、その香りのもとが、ひとりの女性であることがわかりました。彼は、ヤムナ河の岸にたどり着いていました。その河の岸に美しい女性を見つけたのです。彼女は、舟を岸につなごうとしていました。彼女の姿に欠点はありませんでした。彼女は完璧です。彼女の手足や、顔立ちや、目の美しさを表現できる他の言葉はありませんでした。王様が彼女をまじまじと見ることの強烈さに耐えられないかのように、恥ずかしくて、彼女の視線は下におちました。彼女の姿は、漁師の娘の衣装に粗雑に覆われていました。サンタヌ王は、彼女を見ました。彼は、彼女を求めました。そして、そばに近寄って言いました。「あなたは、誰ですか? ここで、何をしているのでしょう?」 彼女は、やわらかい声で答えました。「私は、漁師の娘です。私の父は、漁師の中の王です。この、ヤムナ河の両岸の間を行き来すること(渡し舟)が私の仕事です。」
The king went straight to the father of the girl and said: “I am Santanu the monarch of the race of the Moon. I come from the city Hastina. While I was hunting in the forest, a strange perfume teased me. I followed it to the banks of the Yamuna. There I saw a beautiful woman. She tells me that she is your daughter. I want her for my wife”. The king of the fishermen was profuse (気前よく与える) in his words of supplication (=request). He said: “You are right, my lord. The perfume is part of my daughter and it led you to her. In this entire world there is no other person more fit to have my daughter than your noble self. To be the queen of the Paurava monarch is the greatest honour that can befall a poor fisher girl. I am quite willing to give my daughter to you in marriage. But, my lord, there is a condition. If you are willing to grant that, my daughter is yours”.
王様は、その若い女性のお父さんのところへ、まっすぐに行きました。そして、言いました。「私は、月の民族の王であるサンタヌです。私は、ハスティナの町からやってきました。森で狩をしているときに、奇妙な香りが私を駆り立てました。私はその香りをたどって、ヤムナの川岸まできたのです。そこで、私は、美しい女性をみました。彼女は、あなたの娘だと言います。私の妻として、私は彼女が欲しいのです。」漁師の王は、その懇願の言葉にたいして、気前よく言いました。「王様。あなたのおっしゃるとうりです。その香りは、私の娘のもで、あなたを彼女のもとまで導いて来ました。この世界全体の中で、高貴なあなたほど、私の娘を妻にするのにぴったりの人はいません。パンダヴァの王妃となることは、まずしい漁師の娘にふりかかることのできる名誉としては、最高の名誉です。私は、結婚の相手として、私の娘をあなたに捧げたいです。けれども、王様。ひとつ条件があります。もし、その条件を満たすように保障してくれるなら、私の娘は、あなたのものです。」
The king was impatient. He said: “If it is possible to grant it I will certainly grant you your ‘conditions’ as you call it”. The fisherman said: “It has been said that the son of my daughter will be heir to the throne of the king. If you promise to make the son born of her, the king of Hastina after you, I will give her to you willingly”. The king was speechless. He was thinking of Ganga: of the day when she brought Devavrata to him saying, “I present this hero to you. Take him to the home of heroes”. The face of his beloved son came to his mind’s eye, the son whom he had crowned as the Yuvaraja. He thought of the bond (きずな) of love that bound him to Devavrata. Without a word Santanu returned to his chariot. With a heart full of pain and a longing for the unattainable, the king returned to the city.
王様は、イライラして言いました。「もし、保障できることなら、あなたが『条件』と呼ぶ、それを、私は確かに保障しましょう。」 それならばと、漁師は、こう言いました。「王の位をとる跡継ぎは、私の娘の息子であると、そういうことなのですが。もし、娘に生まれる息子を、あなたの後の、ハスティナの王にすると約束してくれるなら、私の娘をあなたに捧げたいのです。」それを聞いて、王様は、何も言葉がありませんでした。彼は、ガンガーのことが頭に浮かびました。デーヴァヴァラタを、王様のところへ連れてきたときのガンガー言ったこと―「私は、このヒーローをあなたに捧げましょう。ヒーローたちの家に、この子を連れて帰りなさい。」 プリンスとして、位を与えた、彼の愛する息子の顔が心の目に浮かびました。彼とデーヴァヴァラタの間をつないでいる絆を考えました。無言のまま、サンタヌ王は、彼の馬車に戻りました。かなえることのできない切ない願いや、そのつらい気持ちで一杯になった心のまま、王様は、町へ戻りました。
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿