CHAPTER 6
AMBA’S THIRST FOR REVENGE
復讐を切望するアンバ
Amba left the forest and went elsewhere. She performed a terrible penance. She denied herself even the bare (かろうじての、最低限の) necessaries and continued her penance. Shanmukha, the son of Lord Sankara, was pleased with her. He appeared before her. He gave her a garland of ever-fresh lotuses and said: “My child, take this garland with you. The person who wears it round his neck will be the person who will kill Bheeshma.” Pleased with herself and with the gift of Shanmukha, Amba set out on her quest for revenge.
アンバは、森を去ってどこかに行きました。彼女は、とてつもない苦行を行いました。彼女は、最低必要な物でさえ拒んで苦行を続けました。シャンカラ神の息子であるシャンムカが、彼女をほほえましく思いました。シャンムカは、彼女の前に現われました。彼は、永遠にみずみずしい蓮の花輪を彼女に与えて、こういいました。「わが子よ。この花輪を受け取りなさい。この花輪を首につけた人が、ビーシュマを殺す人となるでしょう。シャンムカの贈り物に喜んだアンバは復讐を追求する旅にでました。
Amba went to all the powerful kings of the land and tried to persuade (=coax, convince, 説き伏せる) them to take up her cause. They all refused to do it, all of them. Even her assurance, that the garland given by a god was a sure sign of success, was of no avail. Bheeshma was so powerful a personality that there was not a single kshatriya who dared to oppose him and make an enemy of him. Amba went to the court of Drupada, the king of the Panchalas. She laid the facts before him and asked him to help her. He heard her and said: “I am very sorry to see your plight (=miserable condition, hardship). If it had not been Bheeshma but someone else, I would have championed (擁護する、助けてかばう) your cause. But this Bheeshma is different. He is a righteous man. I cannot find any cause to fight with him. He is not only powerful, but he is good. I am sorry. I have to refuse you this your request”.
アンバは、国中のすべての強い王様を訪れて、彼女の申し立てを引き受けてくれるように彼らを説き伏せようとしました。彼らは、誰一人残らず、それを断りました。その花輪は神に与えられた花輪であって、成功する確かな証拠であるから大丈夫だと彼女が言っても、役に立ちませんでした。ビーシュマは、あまりにも強い個性であり、彼にあえて対抗して彼を敵にまわそうというクシャットリア(武人)は、一人もいません。アンバは、パンチャラの王様であるドゥルパダの宮殿に行きました。彼女は、王様の前に事実をならべて助けを乞いました。彼女の話を聞いた王様は、言いました。「私は、あなたの辛い状態を見て、とても気の毒におもいます。もし、それがビーシュマではなくて他の誰かなら、私は、あなたの申し立てをかばうでしょう。けれども、ビーシュマとなると違った事になります。彼は、正義の男です。彼と戦う理由が見つかりません。彼は、強いだけではなくて、良い男です。お気の毒ですが、あなたの願いごとを断らなければなりません。」
Amba was desperate. She flung (=threw off / fling の過去形) the garland round a pillar in the great hall of Drupada. The king was overcome with consternation (狼狽、肝がつぶれる驚き). Everyone was afraid of Bheeshma. Drupada was upset by this impulsive (衝動的な) action of Amba. She left his hall in fury. The garland was there, on the pillar. No one dared to touch it and it was guarded very carefully.
アンバは、絶望しました。彼女は、ドゥルパダの立派な大広間の柱のまわりに花輪を投げ捨てました。王様は、肝がつぶれるほどの驚きに打ちのめされました。誰も彼もがビーシュマを恐れていました。ドゥルパダは、このアンバの衝動的な行動にあわてました。彼女は、怒り狂って大広間から出て行きました。花輪は、その柱にかかっていました。誰もそれに触れようとする勇気ある人はいませんでした。その花輪はとても慎重に守られました。
Amba went to the forest once again. Her severe penance was resumed (再開する). In her heart there was place for only one emotion: hatred, hatred for Bheeshma. She hated Bheeshma and her only desire was to see him dead. Her penance went on for a long time. Finally, Lord Sankara appeared before her and said: “Grieve not, my child. In your next birth you will yourself kill Bheeshma”. Amba was impatient. She said: “In my next birth, I will not remember my hatred. I may kill him. But I will not be able to taste the joy of revenge. I must kill him now”. Sankara smiled and said: “Do not worry. In your next birth you will remember every one of the many incidents in this your life. You will be born as the child of the king of the Panchalas, Drupada. You will be a woman first. Later, you will become a man. I assure you that you will have your revenge. You will certainly kill your enemy, Bheeshma”.
アンバは、もう一度、森に行きました。彼女の厳しい苦行が再び始まりました。彼女の心は、ただ一つの感情に占められていました。憎悪。ビーシュマに対する憎悪。彼女は、ビーシュマを憎みました。そして、彼の死を見とどけることだけが望みでした。彼女の苦行は、長い期間続きました。ついに、シャンカラ神が彼女の前に現われて、こう言いました。「わが子よ、悲しまなくてよい。次にあなたが生まれ変わるときに、あなた自身がビーシュマを殺すであろう。」アンバは、耐えられませんでした。そして、こう言いました。「私が次に生まれ変わった時では、私は、この憎悪を覚えていないかもしれない。私がビーシュマを殺したとしても、その復讐の喜びを味わえないかもしれない。私は、今、彼を殺さねばなりません。」シャンカラは、微笑んで言いました。「心配はいらない。生まれ変ったとき、あなたは、この生に起こったたくさんの出来事の全てを思い出します。あなたは、パンチャラの王様、ドゥルパダの子供として生まれてきます。あなたは、最初は女性です。後に、あなたは男になります。あなたが復讐をすることを私が保証しましょう。あなたは、敵であるビーシュマを確かに殺します。」
Amba built a huge fire and threw herself into it. Later, she was born as the daughter of Drupada. One day, while playing in the hall of the king, Amba saw the garland of lotuses which hung on the pillar. She took it down and placed it round her neck. Drupada, on hearing about this, came running. He was overcome with fear and consternation that she had dared to do such a thing. Amba smiled serenely (平静に) at her father and said: “Be not so amazed, father. I have been born as your child for the sole purpose of wearing this garland. You can live in peace and leave the rest to me”.
アンバは、大きく火をおこして彼女の身を火の中に投げ入れました。後に、彼女はドゥルパダ王の娘として生まれました。ある日、王様の大広間で遊んでいて、アンバは、その柱にかかっている蓮の花輪を見ました。彼女は、それをはずして彼女の首にかけました。このことを聞いて、ドゥルパダは、走ってきました。そんな大胆なことを彼女がしてしまったことに、彼は、肝をつぶすほどの驚きと恐れに打ちのめされました。アンバは、彼女のお父さんに、なんでもないように笑って、こう言いました。「驚かないで、お父さん。私は、この花輪をかけるためだけに、あなたの子供として生まれてきたのですから。あなたは、平和に生きれるし、私を平穏にさせておくことができます。」
She was called Sikhandi. Her education was given to her by Drona who, like the rest of the world, thought that she was a man. Years passed. By the kindness of a Yaksha, Amba lost her sex and became a man. She grew up in the house of Drupada with her hatred for Bheeshma burning like a torch in her heart.
彼女は、シカンディーと呼ばれました。彼女の教育は、ドロナによって与えられました。ドロナは、世間の人と同じように、彼女を男性だと思っていました。年月が過ぎて、ヤクシャの好意によって、アンバは、女性を失って、男性になりました。彼女の心にたいまつを灯すように燃やし続けていたビーシュマへの憎悪をもちながら、彼女は、ドゥルパダ王の家で育ちました。
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿