CHAPTER 7
SATYAVATI AND BHEESHMA
サッテャヴァティと、ビーシュマ
The marriage of Vichitraveerya with the two princesses Ambika and Ambaalika was duly (=rightfully) performed. The wives considered themselves to be immensely fortunate in having such a handsome sweet-natured man for their lord. They lived a very happy life. But not for long. With Bheeshma to attend to the affairs of the state, the care-free (責任がのしかかっていない) prince spent all the time in the company of his lovely wives. Fate struck again. Young Vichitraveerya was found to suffer from the dreadful disease, consumption (消耗性疾患、肺病). Not all the devotion of his people nor the skill of the best physicians could save him from an early death.
二人お姫様であるアンビカとアンバリカと、ヴィチットラヴィーリヤの結婚式が正式に行われました。二人の妻は、こんなにもハンサムで、優しい性質のだんな様を持ったことを、とても幸運だと思っていました。彼女たちはとても幸せな人生を過ごしました。しかしそれは長くは続きませんでした。その国の大事な行事に精を出すのはビーシュマで、まだ幼く責任をもてなかった王子ヴィチットラヴィーリヤは、いつも、愛すべき妻たちと一緒に時を費やしました。運命は、再び行き詰まってしまいました。若いヴィチットラヴィーリャは、恐ろしい病気、肺病を患い、苦しんでいることがわかりました。国の民がどんなにつくしても、最高のお医者さんたちの技術も、早すぎる死から彼を救い出すことはできませんでした。
Satyavati was stunned (=fainted, upset) by the calamity(大きな災難) that had befallen her (had happened to her). The loss of both her sons was too terrible. But what hurt her more was the thought that the Kuru House did not have an heir(後継者). This was the fact that broke her heart. She spent hours together trying to think of a way to rekindle(再び元気づける、点火する) the flame that was extinguished. She summoned(呼び集める) Bheeshma to her presence. She said: “Look at me, my son. I have now no hope of happiness. I lost my beloved lord. He was gathered to his forefathers(祖先). I could bear that since he had reached an old age and he followed the rule that old men must die. Chitrangada was killed. Before I could reconcile (=give up, agree) myself to the loss that nearly killed me, I find Vichitraveerya dead. The only hope of the Kuru House has been destroyed in the flower of youth. I am desperate. The line must be continued. I have decided on the course of action. I know the way to continue the line of the Kurus. With you rests(rest with~にかかっている、~の責任である) the task of making the Kuru line live again’. (The task of making the Kuru line rests live again with you.)
サッティヤヴァティは、降りかかってきた大きな不幸によって気を失ってしまいました。彼女の二人の息子を失ったことは、あまりにも悲惨でした。しかし、もっと彼女を傷つけたことは、クル一族には後継ぎがひとりもいなくなったということでした。これが彼女の心を打ち砕いてしまった事実なのでした。彼女は消えてしまった火を再び灯す方法を考えようとして何時間もすごしました。彼女はビーシュマを彼女の前に呼び出しました。彼女はいいました。「私を見なさい、息子よ。私には今、幸せの希望がありません。私は最愛の旦那様(シャンタヌ)を失いました。彼は祖先たちのもとに呼び寄せられました。彼は年をとっていました。それは、「年老いたものは死する」というルールに従っていたので、私は耐えることができました。チットランガダは殺されました。私自身が死んでしまうほどの空しさを私自身が受け入れる前に、ヴィチットラヴィーリャの死を知りました。クル一族の唯一の希望が、若さの花盛りに破壊されてしまいました。私は絶望しています。(クル一族の)血統は続いていかなければなりません。私は、これからどうして行くかの方針を決めました。私はクル一族の血統を絶やさない方法を知っています。クル一族の血統を再び蘇らせる務めは、あなたにかかっているのです。
Bheeshma was surprised. He said: “Mother, how can I, a confirmed bachelor(未婚男性), continue the line?” Satyavati said: “My son Vichitraveerya died without leaving a son. His two wives whom you brought for him are still young, with their heart’s desires unfulfilled. The only Dharma evident to me is this: you must take them and make them mothers of the future scions (saien = child) of the house of Kuru. You must do this for the reason that the lineage must continue. This rule was followed by many of your ancestors. This is the only way. You must take the wives of your brother, and your sons will then be the true descendants of Kuru. It is your solemn (=serious) duty to do this.”
ビーシュマは驚きました。彼はいいました。「お母さん、どうやって、この独身を固く誓った私が血統を保てるというのでしょう?」 サッティヤヴァティは言いました。「私の息子、ヴィチットラヴィーリャは子孫を残さず死にました。お前が彼のためにつれてきた二人の妻はまだ若く、彼女らの心には満たされない欲求があります。唯一、私にとってはっきりしているダルマ(正義、為すべきこと)は、お前が彼女たちを(妻に)とり、彼女たちをクル一族の未来の子供の母としなければなりません。家系は、続いて行かなければなりませんから、お前は、それをしなければなりません。このルールは、多くの祖先たちによっても従われてきたルールです。これが唯一の方法です。お前は、弟たちの妻たちを(お前の)妻としなければなりません。お前の息子は、やがてクル家の正当な子孫になるのです。こうすることがお前の重要な役割なのです。」
Unruffled (落ち着いた、穏やかな) by this preposterous (本末転倒な) suggestion, Bheeshma answered her patiently. He said: “Mother, because you are overpowered by the grief and shock caused by your sudden losses, you are suggesting these things to me. There is no doubt that a rule like the one you suggest does exist. I am aware of it. Custom too, has lent (貸す、与える、lend=give) its approval to this rule. But mother, your asking me to follow this rule is wrong and improper. You know that I have sworn to forgo (差し控える) the throne and married life too. I did it for your sake and surely, you could not have forgotten that! Do you not remember the terrible vow I took? I have taken an oath(誓い) that, in this life of mine, woman has no place. Now you suggest that I should take the wives of my dead brother. You are indeed very much upset by the death of our beloved Vichitraveerya. Else, you would not have suggested this to me. I am sorry for you, mother. But please do not ask such a thing of me”.
本末転倒な(サッティヤバティの)指示によっても、落ち着いていたビーシュマは、彼女に忍耐強く答えました。彼はいいました。「お母さん、突然おこった喪失による悲しみと衝撃にうちのめされ、あなたは、そのようなことを私に指図しているのです。あなたが指図したようなルールがある事は、疑いもありません。私もそのことを知っています。世の中のしきたりもまた、このルールを認めています。しかし、お母さん。あなたが私にこのルールに従うように言い聞かせるのは、間違っているし、ふさわしくありません。あなたは、私が王位や結婚生活を差し控える誓いをたてたことを知っています。あなたのために私がそうしたことを、絶対に忘れる事はできないはずです! 私がたてたあの酷い誓いをあなたは思い出さないのですか? 私のこの人生において、女性がはいりこむ余地はありません。今あなたは、そんな私に死んだ兄弟の妻たちを娶るべきだと提案します。実際にあなたは、最愛のヴィチットラヴィーリャの死によって相当に困惑しています。さもなければ、こんなことを私に提案しないでしょう。ごめんなさい、お母さん。どうかこんなことを私に頼まないでください。」
Satyavati said: “I remember the oath and the circumstances under which you took that terrible oath. I know too, that you did it for the sake of your father and me. But now the circumstances have changed. Devavrata, it was because a son of mine had to be king that you took the oath: But my sons are now dead. The race threatens to die out. So, as an apaddharma, as a desperate cure, as a last resort, I am suggesting this course of action. You must not let the Kuru clan die out. I am your mother. It is your duty to do what pleases me. You must obey me. That is a greater Dharma than all the oaths you have taken.”
サッティヤバティはいいました。「私は、お前が悲惨な誓いをたてた状況も、その誓いも覚えています。私は、お前のお父さんと私のために、お前がその誓いをたてたことも覚えています。しかし、今や状況が変りました。デーヴァヴァラタ。私の息子が王にならなければならないという理由で、お前はその誓いを立てました。けれども、私の息子は、すでに死んでいます。一族が死に絶える恐れにあります。だから、アーパッドダルマによって、つまり、緊急事態に従うべきこととして、最後のよりどころとして、私はこれを指図しているのです。お前は、クル一族を死に絶やしてはいけません。私はお前の母です。私を喜ばすことをすることが、お前の務めです。素直でなければなりません。そのことのほうが、お前の誓ったこと全部よりも、もっと大切なダルマです。」
Bheeshma had his temper under control till now. But he could not hold out any longer. Perhaps, in his mind’s eye, the past events came back like a landscape reflected in a drop of dew (露の一滴). His mother Ganga, his happy boyhood with her in the heavens, his education, first in political science from Brihaspati and Sukra and then his learning the Vedas and the Vedangas from Vasishtha. Bheeshma’s mind went now to the days he spent with his guru Bhargava learning archery. His mother had made him learn all this because she wanted him to be a worthy son of the House of the Kurus. She wanted him to be the ideal king. She had told him that so often. His mind went to the happy days he spent with his father, four years of perfect companionship. They had been comrades (=friend, 仲間). His father was lost in love of him and he in his turn was devoted to Santanu. Bheeshma had been crowned the Yuvaraja. Then, out of the air, there appeared this Satyavati. To please his father and the cupidity (=greed, 貪欲) of her father, he gave up all that was beautiful in this world. It was then that he, young as he was, became old in a moment, just like that, OLD. Nothing seemed worthwhile since then. He conformed (=adapt, 適応させる、あわす) his life to a rigid (=stiff, 堅い、柔軟性のない) pattern of black and white. Then came Amba, the crimson thread (赤い糸) that shuttled (行き来する) in and out of the black and white fabric he had woven for himself and caused such havoc. He would not take her because he could not. He broke her heart and ruined her womanhood because of the terrible oath he had taken. He had not obeyed his guru, Bhargava, when he asked him to take Amba. And now, after all this, his step-mother ‘commanded’ him to take the wives of his dead brother!
ビーシュマはこの瞬間まで怒りをコントロールしていました。しかし彼はもうこれ以上怒りをもちこたえることができませんした。多分、彼の心の目には、露の一滴の中に写っている景色のように、過去の出来事が呼び戻ってきたのでしょう。彼の母ガンガ。彼の幸せな少年時代は、天国で、母とともにありました。彼の教育。最初にブリハスパティとシュクラから政治科学を、そしてヴァシスタからヴェーダとヴェーダンガを学びました。ビーシュマの心は、その瞬間、弓を学んだ彼のグルであるバールガヴァと過ごした日々に帰っていました。ビーシュマの母は、彼をクル一族にふさわしい立派な人間にしたかったので、彼にこれらすべてを学ばせたのでした。彼女は、彼を理想的な王に育てたかったのです。彼女はよく彼にそう言っていました。彼の心は、父親といつも連れ添って過ごした4年間の幸せな日々に戻っていました。彼らは仲間でした。彼の父、シャンタヌ王は、彼をとても愛していたし(夢中になっていたし)、一方ビーシュマもシャンタヌに一身をゆだねていました。ビーシュマは、ユヴァラージャ(次の世代の王位を継承する王子)の地位を与えられました。それから突然、このサッティヤヴァティが現れました。彼の父と彼女の父の貪欲さを満たすために、彼はこの世のすべての美しさ(喜び)をあきらめました。彼は、若かったのですが、まさにその瞬間に年老いていくようでした。それ以降(ビーシュマにとって)やりがいのある事は何一つないように思えました。彼は、彼の人生を、何の面白みも無い白と黒のパターンにあわせました。そこに、アンバが現われました。――彼が織り成していた黒と白の生地の上行き来する赤い糸がアンバで、あのような大混乱をおこしました。彼は、彼女を(妻として)とることができませんでしたから、そうしませんでした。彼は自分のした厄介な誓いのために、彼女を傷つけ、彼女の女性としての人生までを台無しにしました。彼は、アンバを(お嫁さんに)迎えるようにと指示されたときも、グルであるバールガヴァに従いませんでした。そして今、これらすべての出来事の後に、義理の母(サッテャヴァティ)は、彼に死んだ兄弟の妻たちをお嫁さんに迎えなさいと「命令した」のです。
All his anger unleashed (束縛を解く、爆発させる) itself as he spoke in a voice trembling with fury. He said: “Mother, you do not know the strength of my mind. You do not know the firmness of my Dharma. You do not know me at all. Nothing will make me do what you command me to do. The earth may lose her perfume. Water may lose the sweetness that is part of her. The sun may lose his brilliance or the moon her snowy coolness. Lord Dharma may abandon his Dharma but I will not swerve (それる、ゆがむ) from the path of Truth. Truth, to me, is greater than all the promised rewards of heaven. The world may end but not the strength of my mind. Nothing, nothing can move me: not even you with your power over me as my mother. I have once dared to defy (diphai =resist, 拒む、無視する) my guru for the sake of this oath. I will not be moved by your words. Please desist from (~するのを思いとどまる) this foolish attempt”.
彼のすべての怒りは爆発し、激怒のために震えおののく声で話しました。彼は言いました。「お母さん、あなたは私の心の強さを知らないのです。あなたは私のダルマの堅さを知らないのです。あなたは、まるで私のことを知らないのです。あなたが私に命令しているようなことを、私にさせるというのは、どんなことがあっても、決してないでしょう。地球はその香りを失うかもしれません。水はその甘さを失うかもしれません。太陽はその輝きを、月は雪のような冷たさを失うかもしれません。ダルマの神はダルマを捨て去るかもしれません。けれど私は真実の道からそれる事はしないでしょう。私にとって真実は、天国で約束されたご褒美よりも重要なのです。世界はおわるかもしれませんが、私の心の強さは終わることがありません。決して何も私を動かすことはできません。あなたでさえ、母としての力を持ってしても、(無理)です。私は、この誓いのために、私のグルさえも生意気にも拒んだのです。私はあなたの言葉によっては動かされません。どうかこの馬鹿げた企てを思いとどまってください。
0 件のコメント:
コメントを投稿